11/3/10

Creamy Tomato Garlic Soup

And yes, it is as good as it sounds.

I decided on my days off I was going to try to do some more extensive cooking. Not having a set work schedule makes it hard to plan what we'll eat when, and half the time I'm so tired when I get home I don't want to be in front of a stove for 2+ hours.
Besides, who likes eating dinner after 8pm? Not so much.

So I figured I would start with making soup! I love the stuff, and it can't be that hard, right?
Last night I made the CTG and tonight I am making loaded baked potato, and some minestrone to have tomorrow and the next day.

I'll post the other two recipes after I make them, so I can add my notes, but here is creamy tomoato garlic!

Creamy Tomato Garlic Soup:
Yeilds: was enough for me and hubbs, with a bit extra.

2 can condensed tomato soup
1 pint half and half
3-4 heads of roasted garlic

Set oven to 350 degrees.
Peel garlic gloves and lightly coat in olive oil (or canola, vegetable, ect)
Roast for aprox 40 mins until tender/golden. You can either put them on a baking sheet, or make a tin foil boat for easy clean up!

Make tomato soup as usual, only substitute water for half and half. You will end up needing just a smidge more liquid, so I just used water. Bring to rolling boiling, stirring frequently. Not a fan of the skin it makes on top when it sits for too long, just sayin'.

Add your roasted garlic and tomato soup into a blender (but be careful as it's HOT!) and puree until smooth and creamy.

ENJOY!

Notes: This soup was incredibly thick, due to the half and half. Hubby enjoyed it, but it was almost too thick for me. You can make the soup with milk instead of half and half, or just whisk some milk in until it's the desired consistency. I also might strain it after blending, and blend again so it's extra smooth.
Also, why in the world is garlic SO hard to peel? I smashed it with a knife but it still took over an hour. Any tips on faster peeling would be mucho appreciated.

Until next time,

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. reading that made me crave it!!! it sounds easy enough! ill make sure to remember that recipe.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing! It really is super easy. Ya know what I don't like about blogger? It doesn't let you know when people have commented on your posts! Unless, ya know, I'm incompetent. I'm betting on that.

    ReplyDelete