11/4/10

The next Julia Child.

Totes kidding.

However loaded baked potato soup came out AWESOME I will say. Here's the recipe, along with notes.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup ala Crock Pot/Slow Cooker.
(Yes, I even googled to see if there was a difference, and found out crock pot IS a slow cooker, as band-aid is a bandage. Get it? Branding will get you anywhere.)
Anynerd...

Yields: Four-ish.

4 large potatoes, ones you'd use to make a baked potato. What? My husband is the produce guy, not me.
2/3 cup butter
2/3 flour
6 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. peppa
4 chopped green onions
1 package bacon
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar (or other omm nom) cheese
1 cup sour cream

Fry bacon. Try not to eat it all. Crumble. Set aside.

Bake the potatoes as if you were, well, making baked potatoes. Mine were in the oven for about an hour, wrapped in tin foil, and baked at 350 degrees. BTW don't forget to poke holes before wrapping them in tin foil. Especially if you're low in said foil. Heh.

When baked, let cool and chop into cubed, bite sized, pieces. Dump into your slow cooker/crock pot demi-god.

Now you're going to make the raux (roo). You'll melt your 2/3 cup butter in a DEEP sauce pan on low heat. Whisk in flour and mix until smooth. Gradualllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy add your 6 cups of melt, whisking with each addition. Did I mention you mix this thing constantly? It's like gravy, scorchy=no no. Whisk continually until bubbly. Not boiling, but small bubbles will appear. Add to crock pot/slow cooker.

Also add cheese, salt, peppa, green onion, and bacon. Mix all together so everything is nice and coated and cook on high for aprox 4 hours, stirring once every hour. Mix in sour cream right before serving.

Notes: I ended up adding more milk about two hours in, so it wouldn't be super thick, but more creamy. I couldn't tell you how much I added, just sort of eye-balled it.
I didn't get to cook my soup with the bacon/green onions in it (new found vegetarian friends and I-don't-like-green-onions-husband) so I'm sure the flavor is very more bacon-esqe when simmering with everything for so long.


In other non-food related news, I won a contest!
Don't worry, I didn't have to get a Bieber tattoo or chug a gallon of milk.
I got to look like a bad-ass all day. I love Halloween. The photo used for voting was much better than this. My gun is hoisted in the air and whatnot.


Prize was a paid day off. And I never win ANYTHING so I was thrilled!
Especiallysincemyhourswerecutinhalffornextweek :X

Until next time,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment