6/14/10

Let there be cake!

You'd think this would be the easiest part for me figure out. I work in a bakery. I went to a Le Cordon Bleu certified culinary school and got a degree and patisserie and baking. Did I mention I friggin' LOVE cake?! However, when it comes to my wedding cake, I'm completely stumped.
Wedding cakes are not the same as they used to be ten years ago. The days of a solid, ONLY white cake with enough ruffles of buttercream and lace to make you go blind....that is sooooo 1984. Flavors, style, decor, icing type (some people are all about fondant...not for me) are anything and everything these days.
So, with all my knowledge of the cake world, you'd think this selection would be a cake walk, pun totally intended.
So, so, wrong.
Lucky for me, my friend M is decorating my wedding cake for me, and I'll be baking it myself, because I'm a freak about wedding cakes being baked correctly. Really, you can ask anyone I work with. I just really take pride in what I do, okay!?
Here's what I know:

It's going to be 3-4 tiers.
It's going to have this awesome ribbon around the bottom that my sister and I found at Michael's. It was fate because there was just enough!
It's going to have buttercream icing, because while fondant is notorious for smoothness, I hate the taste, and know M can make it look 10x better with BC.
There will be a raspberry-poppy-seed tier, a white with lemon or rasp cream filling tier, a chocolate with either peanut butter or chocolate filling tier,
and possibly a black and white(alternating layers of white and chocolate cake with BC filling)
>I'm still debating how I want the (fresh) flowers to go on the cake. I think I might just leave that up to M, because she's a pro. The cake will will a simple dot pattern on it, unless I find something that appeals to me more.


SUGGESTIONS ARE MUCHO APPRECIATED!


Until next time,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment