6/30/10

Play Ball!

As any Oregonian knows, professional sports teams in our state are too far and few between. That's why people are so die-hard (among other reasons) for our Oregon Ducks (yay) and Oregon State Beavers (boohiss). I have no desire to watch the Portland Jailblazers, as the NBA is my least fave in the bunch. But what am I supposed to do in the spring/summer time, when there's no football!?
Last night, baseball was the answer.
The team around here is the Eugene Emeralds aka da Ems. The last time I went to an Ems game was when I was still playing Kidsports softball. Softball played a HUGE part in my childhood, as baseball did N's, so we thought it might be fun to go to a game. The Ems aren't the greatest team around, but my mom had free (really good) tickets, and the game was being held at PK Park, which just opened a couple months ago.
The stadium is pretty nice. Not huge, but you had a good view of things. The game itself was a bit of a snoozer, (4-2 Boise final) and since PK is apparently all about promo nights, we got to endure GOONIES night. Other than the score board being changed to the Fratelli's vs. Goonies, and a really crappy treasure hunt, it wasn't very goonies based. But since the movie was filmed here, blahblahblahgooniesoregonrulestheend. Some of the other silly and ridiculous events were camera worthy, IMO.
Those kids on the left were bungee-corded together and had to slam foam balls into basketball nets. The kid on the right sucked hard, and didn't seem to understand what he needed to do. He got dragged through the dirt. And my dirt, I mean astroturf as the only real dirt on the field is at the pitcher's mound and batter's box. As you can see here to your right, the stadium was PACKED, and some kid got to be pushed around what I'm preeettty sure was a shopping cart with a cardboard box on the top.
Now, the piece of gold I've been holding onto for the end of this post. I hope I can get it to work, because it's a bit mortifying and needs to be shared with the world. The team mascot is a lime green bear that goes by the name Sluggo, Original right? Anyways, it wouldn't be a Goonies night if there wasn't a reference to the truffle shuffle....hopefully the cute picture of N and I will help you not be completely scarred for life.




Until next time,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment