5/19/10

Lapso, sheemo wanny due.

I have a confession.
It's an obsession.
To The Sims.

If this doesn't mean anything to you, consider yourself lucky. The Sims is a PC game (it also came out for playstation but it's just not the same...) that has sucked countless hours away from my live since the year 2000. The premise of the game is you can create a character, a sim, and move them into a house you're allowed to decorate and build however you please, pick a career, ect. It was basically a virtual dollhouse. What ten year old girl wouldn't LOVE that! Did I mention they speak in simish! Hence the blog title today. So thanks to my brother's friend, ten years ago I was exposed to the brilliance of this game.

They started releasing expansion packs, and I bought every one that came out. You could go on vacation in one, you could have pets in another, could go downtown in another! It was great. However, we had a veryyy old computer, so my obsession somewhat fell to the wayside, as it's hard to get into a game that would crash every two minutes. Not even kidding.
The Sims 2 was released a few years later. I didn't even bother at that point, as I was too busy with sports, boyfriends, school, just being a teenager. I wondered about it from time to time, curious as to what changed. In the original game you could invite neighbors over, but you couldn't leave the lot your house was on, unless you went to work. Then when you went to work, the camera would still be at your lot, and you had no idea what your sim was doing. If you wanted to have a baby, you and your partner would decide, and then a bassinet would just appear out of thin air. If you didn't take care of the baby, the social worker would come take it away. I could go on and on and on and on about all the things you could do and couldn't do in the sims. I'll spare you my dorkiness (as it is not even close to being in full-force) and give you the option to this wikipedia link, that will fill you with sim knowledge until your fun meter is full.

What this post was intended for was the sims 3. N and I have a super-sweet computer, which could make any gamer drool. N pointed out to me that the Sims 3 was coming out pretty soon, but I didn't get too excited, until I realized that we had a computer that could support the game. Then I started reading the reviews, and my head exploded.

You controlled the WHOLE town. As in, you could go to other peoples' homes. You could OWN a car, the countless control options were endless. You could pick what they could do at work and that would effect their job performance. The girls had LONG hair. They could also get pregnant, morning sickness and everything! Not only that, there was a Sims creator to where you could make your sim look like anyone. Again, I could go on and on, but I'll link to wiki and you could read more about Sims 3 here.

And again, this is not the original reason for my post tonight. What I'm excited for the is for June 1st. which is when the second big expansion pack to be released for S3. It's called ambitions. You get to control what your sim actually does at work. As in, no more staring at the lot for six hours as you wait for them to come home. I'm pretty sure I peed a little. It is literally the expansion I've been waiting for for the last ten years. You had best believe I will be a Walmart at midnight to get it. I know I sound like such a dweeb but I could honestly care less. Everybody has their hobbies, and while it's not my ONLY one, the Sims is definitely up there.

And then they created Sims, and it was good.

Until next time,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment