5/9/10

To all the mom's out there.

You rule!

Really.
Everybody has a mom who brought them into the world, and at one point or another had them threaten to take you out of it.

Let's take my mom Susan, for example.. She's a woman who never even planned on having kids. In her words; "she couldn't afford to." Very practical mindset. However a couple of "blessings in disguises" later, motherhood became a reality for her, in the form of my older brother Chris, and myself (duh). She didn't have me until she was in her late thirties, but better late than never. We've had our blowouts in the past, and regardless of all the bickering we've gone through over the years, I feel lucky to be able to call her my mom.

Her 61st birthday was this Wednesday, and my brother and I took her out to dinner. Even though it seemed like a pretty casual evening, when I talked to her later, she said it was one of the best birthdays she had ever had. I was trying to figure out what made it so great in her eyes, since it was so laid back, but that's just it. My mom has always been really easy going, and not nazi-strict like some of my friends' parents growing up. She doesn't need a huge party to feel special, just the love of her kids...and a few presents. "You didn't spend too much, did you??" -Mom in a nutshell.

You know what doesn't rule? How insanely busy it was at work this weekend. We almost completely sold out of cakes, which lemme tell ya, quite the feat. I wrote Happy Mother's Day! on so many cakes I started to go robotic. Which actually ended up happening when I was trying to leave. I had a customer buying one of the last cakes available, and long story short ended up writing Happy Mother's Shelby and Kristine. Which I spelled Kristine Chris-thinking of my brother. Quickly correcting my mistake, I realized I forgot the word day, and just started laughing hysterically. I went up to the customer and told him what happened, and LUCKILY he just laughed it off too, and told me they would get a kick out of it. I ever so wittily ended our transaction with "well, I hope they're happy mothers, because this cake says it all! Smoooooth. Did I mention how busy we were this weekend?! Maybe that cake will be featured on CakeWrecks! One of my personal favorite blogs!

One more thing, and this is a bit of a rant. Please understand that people who are in the customer service industry are required to greet you, with a smile on their face and a song in their heart, and ready to cater to your every need. Even if they are having the worst day ever. The least you can do is say hello. I had so many people today look at me after greeting them and asking if they needed help, and I'm talking looking me right in the eye, and just completely ignore me. Theeeeen wanting help not 30 seconds later. What got my goat today was when this one customer started snapping his fingers to get my attention.

You've.
Got.
To.
Be.
Kidding.
RIGHT?!

No, it actually happened. Pretty sure I threw up in my mouth. I think that is one of the rudest things you could do to a person you don't even know!! Clearly that guy's mother did NOT teach him any manners....

Happy Mother's Day to all the great mom's out there!!!!

Until next time,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain!! People treat people who work customer service jobs like crap, and then bitch when they dont get exceptional service. booooo

    ReplyDelete